Sunday, July 26, 2020

Half way there...

Tuesday Mommy had no school so we headed to a local watering hole in the bus and did some swimming and bike riding. We found a very speedy turtle on the trail. The kids wanted to keep it but that guy had some claws on him and he tried to pee on me every chance he got so we let him go.







Started the week with a great lesson on planting the seed of faith from Alma and Eleanor had one of the lessons this week so we made Mommy plant a Minecraft seed. It was fun to teach her how. The kids each took turns explaining how to control the game and what conditions were needed to harvest the wheat in a dark cave. Since Mommy had never played the game before I was more difficult than anyone expected but also a lot of fun. It also illustrated a few lessons we were able to discuss about how it can be hard to do a "simple" experiment on the word while navigating an unfamiliar dark world full of distractions. We went easy on Mommy and turned off the monsters in the game but that would have added a whole new level of lessons to the allegory.   



Zach and I started out this week Monday morning with a 13.1 mile excursion down to mommy's school. We headed out at about 6am from the house with Zach on his bike and Dad "running" for a half marathon. I have never ran that far in my life but figured I better give it a try before I tried for a full marathon here in 6 weeks. I can say that I didn't feel as bad afterwards as I figured I would but not near as well as I wish I could have. The marathon thing has been on my bucket list for a while and I ain't getting any younger so wish me luck on Aug 31st.


I have been thinking about the halfway mark on a lot of things. Life in particular. As I approach my "40th year" I figure there are some good miles up ahead still but I might not be able to do them at the same speed as the 1st ones. Pace is the key I bet and one foot in front of the other.


2 comments:

Tom & Dixie said...

Fun trip!! Good luck on your marathon!!

Tim Shawcroft said...

Looks fun