Sunday, July 12, 2020

NO2 Powered Cloud Riding

Did a few things this week but not many pictures to share. Most of us just skim the text junk and like to get to the pictures (and that includes us) so my apologies folks.

Mommy gets to write about her "Cloud Riding". Take it away Mel.
"This week at school we had our nitrous oxide sedation training, with the lecture portion on Monday over Zoom and the lab portion on Thursday. I was excited for the lecture portion to learn the correct hows and whys of administration, but not for the lab portion because I had never received nitrous before for any dental procedure. Although I had started patients on nitrous many times at the base rate, as a dental assistant, the training was very basic and I wasn't qualified to make adjustments for the patients needs, only the dentist could do that. As I said, I wasn't thrilled at the idea of being on nitrous because I didn't like the idea of it altering my thinking, but for training we had to induce three other students and also be induced three times. The first two times i received it, it was different than i thought, instead of it making me feel weird or silly or out of control, I just felt very relaxed and all other stresses or worries were gone. We all started on 10% nitrous for the first induction and then went up to about 20% and that is normal for people who have never received nitrous, but for the second and third induction most people increased about 5% each time. I felt comfortable at 20% the first time, and by the 3rd time I was comfortable with 30%.  We learned that 70% of patients prefer to receive nitrous at the 30%-40% level and now I understand why.......... I got so relaxed that I closed my eyes and felt like I was floating up on top of a cloud and the sounds of the room seemed far away. It also felt like there were no worries at all and all stresses were gone, there was only rainbow and butterflies. my partner said I had a smile on my face and looked so happy and relaxed, that she gave me an extra minute. Haha! Tim and I laugh about the experience now, but I now no longer think of nitrous as an unnecessary thing. I hate to admit it but sometimes as an assistant, when a patient requested nitrous I used to think to myself "come on you can do this without nitrous, just be tough." But now I understand how if a patient is really stressed or has a lot of anxieties, that nitrous could be a tremendous benefit and help them be more comfortable. Long story short..... I totally get it now!!!  I'm grateful for all the learning I'm gaining and the experiences that come with it."
While Mom was "relaxing at school" the rest of us were chilling at home. It was one of thoes weeks that seemed to slip away from us. We had plenty of projects to complete but nothing huge and we made some time for fun in there too. We did spend a day with friends doing a welding repair project on their van and made a trip with the bus to a park close to Mom's school with the whole group and some bikes. Only one crash to speak of and both families we were taking bets to see who it would be. Can you guess who in our family was?


Today after our Sabbath meetings Madison got out the Minute-to-win-it game and made everyone look silly. Nothing new there...





I am a little slow sometimes and it finally came to me this week that there is no reason that we need to do our Sabbath in the home. There have been very few times in my life where I was authorized to conduct and administer ordinances for just our family....That chance is winding down now and I better use out on the road if we want to before it is too late! Now we just need a break in Mommy's schedule to make a run for it. Love you all.

 

1 comment:

Tom & Dixie said...

I think I need some nitrous oxide!! We NEED to see the kids. Marshall is beginning to look like a teenager - Zach & the girls are getting so tall.