60 consecutive days less than 0.02 inches of rain. I always love a good graph and this one below shows you the record stretches of dry weather for various thresholds. Boil it down and it says that in recorded history this has been the nicest summer this place has seen (if you don't like moss growing on your back). We have loved it so far. We have been warned over and over again that this lack of rain is unusual but it was not until today that I knew about the record. Yesterday morning we got our first real rain since we arrived and I even took a picture of it because it was really coming down for a few minutes. I came home and looked up the historical weather data and after a few minutes of analysis arrived at the record breaking conclusion.(yes...I embrace my super-geek status)
What is even stranger is that this good weather held on through fair week here. Daddy took a half day at work on Wednesday and the family went to check out the activities at the fair. We saw a Juggler, listened to some bluegrass music, looked at the arts and crafts, Saw a really big pumpkin, took a safari through a jungle animal exhibit, rode some rides (all the males crammed into an "egg-roll" ride but only the older ones liked it. Thing II screamed the whole time), and we all ate some fair food. To be fair, I was fairly impressed with the whole affair there at the fair...(Yes, I wrote that sentence on purpose. Sorry you had to suffer through it.)
The only thing I was disappointed in was the food selection. I didn't see any frog legs, crawdads, fried Twinkies, alligator egg-rolls, or confectioneried insects anywhere. When I go to the fair I want want to experience things I can't find normally. Something weird, creative, and exciting, I think that is what most people go for but I want to see it in my food selections too. I hope they raise the bar a little next year.
Kind of along the same line of thought...Thing 1 is raising meal-worms in his 1st grade class for science time. I told him some people eat them. At first he didn't believe me but we went to Utube and found a few menu items and videos. I told him I would eat one if he did and he rose to the challenge. I think I found the answer on amazon. Some munchy, crunchy mealworms are on the way.I hear they taste like Cheetos...I guess we will find out.Speaking of eating bugs...Mommy has a new favorite friend. There is a VERY bright blue bird that hangs out in our back yard. He eats the bugs that use our back porch as as their final residence. This bird just ate a BIG jucy spider that was hanging out for a few days in the corner. Mommy cheered on the bird as she watched the end of our eight legged friend.
Movies of the week: John Carter (4 stars) and Mirror, Mirror (2 stars).Favorite read this week:
The local coupon book from Dez at work.
Thanks Dez!
Mommy found a baby sitter this week and so we went to Olive Garden and Bed, Bath and Beyond for some good smellin' lotion.
Favorite food this week:
Monday we picked more blackberries and mommy made 9 pints of blackberry-strawberry jam the next day. Friday she made me a rhubarb-strawberry pie,
Life is good.
