Sunday, June 24, 2012

He-Ran-A-Saurus


I get into some weird tangents once in a while and my latest offbeat interest has been balloon sculptures.Animals to be exact. Evolution of my balloon animal world has been fairly rapid. I built a balloon dog about a week ago...the next animal I attempted was this...

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/19093164/article-Costume-contest-shows-off-lighter-side-of-Fairbanks--Midnight-Sun-Run?instance=home_lead_story

The news paper got the name wrong. It was "Try-To-Run-A-Saurus, Latex".

I was pretty amazed at how well this beast held up over the10k but even more impressed at how many minutes it held up in the hands of 9 children (mine and their cousins over at Grandma's after the race). I gave it to them to do as they wished, and after 15 minutes it was still fairly intact. Balloon animals can be resilient little creatures, but it will take more than a paleontologist to put this one back together now. The photo below was taken after the race at about 12:30am on Grandma's lawn right before the Dino destruction derby.

After midnight the weirdos come out. 

We won a little glacier cruise package for 1st place. Mommy was just happy she finished the race...She did great and was only a minute behind Daddy crossing the finish line.

Thanks should go to Jeremy for tying balloons till his fingers hurt, Grandma S. for babysitting the demolition team, and Mommy for putting up with the hours of squeaking and popping of many balloons!