Monday, September 7, 2020

Not only that...

 The summer of 2020 in review:  

Eleanor-

I like our blueberry bush.We like picking blueberry. They or good. we pic a lot. I like blueberry. 

Millie- 

We got a pool, we have lots of fun with it. Then we set a canopy up. We found out that we have a blueberry bush . 

Madison-

 One of my favorite parts of the summer was when w went to Rainbow falls state park. We went there with our friends. We tried to catch some fish there but dad was the only one who caught one. I started to read the Harry Potter series too. We are starting to do home school.  




 
  

Zachery- 

Well this summer has been a weird one. Every one has talked about the pool and helped but it was tough work, we had to dig a big pit which was actually really fun, I got do use the pickaxe and loved it. Another thing was running. Me and my dad started to run 2 miles, than 3, than 4. I gotta say it was quite tiering but I got to find knickknacks along the way. We started to get free lunches and they where better than the ones that we previously got during the school year. I do miss school, all of it even the classes.  But we are doing home school and I am evited for that! 

Marshall-

 My summer was definitely different then most summers. One of the most notable differences of this summer was the feel of getting back to school. Usually we would be getting all ready for school, clothes shopping, supplies shopping, and all the other things you do to get ready for another year of school, but this year was a bit less crazy when it came to getting ready. A few other large highlights of the summer are the pool and how I got a job at a blueberry farm. Some of my siblings make the blueberry bush we have in our back yard one of there highlights, but it was nothing special to me after staring at blueberries 5 hours a day, 6 days a week:). I really enjoyed the fact that none of my friends had strict social distancing rules and I could hang out with them more than I thought I would. I think I learned a lot this summer, most people say they really enjoyed spending time with there family when they are asked in the presence of other people, so I'm just goanna say it to keep up the record, I really liked spending time with my family this summer 😀. it was a very hard choice to pick between home school or public school this year but I chose public school in hopes that they open up school sooner than November. Also, I have some really good friends and don't want to miss out on high school credit or experiences. 

Mom

This summer has flown by so fast! When Summer quarter started for me, I was already ready for the break at the end of the quarter, but clinic flew by and it was actually really good for me and helped me improve in multiple areas of clinic. I'm enjoying break now and am just glad to have time to be at home and do some of the things I didn't have time for before like making new recipes and swimming in the pool with the kids. Heck, it's just nice to be able to stay up late and know that I don't have to get up at 4am the next day.  Also, as much fun as it would be to travel somewhere new or take a long trip, all I really want to do is stay home and hang out with my favorite people, my family!!! I really enjoyed meeting up with our friends, the Rosengrens and celebrating with them their 22 wedding anniversary. I also am so proud of Tim for checking off something on his bucket list...running a marathon!!! I was able to run the last 6 miles with him, and it was fun to cheer him on.

Dad -

The only time I enjoyed training for that evil marathon was when I got to carb-load the night before with doughnuts, twizzlers, pancakes, and knock off Samoa cookies from Wal-Mart (if you have not had them they are as good at the little piggy-tailed mobsters sell). Here is a quick recap of all the other torture that I inflicted on myself and others to check that goal off.

I ran a bit over 200 miles in preparation for it, some with the boys but a lot on my own, listening to the old testament (double torture some days but another goal of mine this year) 

I started the run at 4am Aug 31st with Rex as a support crew on bike (Thanks Rex!!!!)

The first 13.1 miles were great....then it started getting tougher. I had never experienced "The Wall" or a "runners high" before in my life. I experienced both between the 16-18 mile mark. They are real and the one is not worth the other. The only way I finished was because of the external support. Rex kept me on pace for when I felt like I could run faster but needed to conserve energy, Melissa appealed to my prideful side by running with me the last 6 miles and I didn't want to fall on my face in front of her. She also picks good music and I needed even though I generally don't crank the tunes while pounding the pavement.          

I finished it in 4h59m with the goal to beat the 5 hour mark. Nothing spectacular but I am done and don't feel I will ever need to repeat it for a better time.  




I was sore for 2 days...that's about all I have to say about that. 

For the last few weeks I have been working for the United States Department of the Census as what is referred to as an "enumerator". I went door to door all over southwestern Washington collecting population data from households that did not respond to the census questionnaire online or via mail. I assisted them in completing the legally required minimum survey information and helped answer a lot of questions about what the information is used for. It sounds all official and might not be a job many people would sign up for but it was very interesting and challenging in a good way for me. I found that 99.5% of people I approached treated me far better than I expected to be received as a "nosey government employee". Even when notes from previous census workers were blatantly negative about how they were received by some individuals I found creative approaches that seemed to help people understand that I was their friend and was just there to complete as much as they were comfortable sharing to help We The People's government stay on track as the constitution intended.     

Tough gig, knocking on vacation homes at the beach

     The kids are wrapping up their summer with the last few days of swimming and freedom as school does not officially start for our home schoolers till after Monday. Marshall has decided that he wants to do public school his freshman year with hopes that the political leaders can pull their heads out of the sand allow kids to get back to in person schooling this year. I don't blame him because he really misses his friends but I also thought he might enjoy a little more freedom in his education choices along with the rest of the kids doing homeschooling here.

  

2 comments:

Casey Taylor said...

Miss you guys! So fun to rad about your adventures!!

Tom & Dixie said...

It was really fun to hear about your summer. Love you all.