Sunday, September 14, 2014

Service Week

“Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11.” — President Obama in a 2011 radio address.

The running theme this week has been service.The family spent a few extra minutes to do some acts of service around and with the community here this week. We helped some friends split wood, worked at local plant nursery called "The Garden of Goo", and did some other small acts of service around. I think I learned a few things...the types of service we embarked on were what I would call "menial". I try to avoid these types of jobs as a general rule I view my time as sooooo important. I think I was tricked into these tasks this time to force the lesson that often it is not the task that is important, but the attitude in which we approach it with that matters...I failed....I still hate weeding plants... 



“It is not enough just to be good. We must be good for something. We must contribute good to the world. The world must be a better place for our presence. And the good that is in us must be spread to others. This is the measure of our civility.”
― Gordon B. Hinckley, Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes

Favorite food:
Mommy liked her Double chocolate zucchini muffins (link here)
Movie of the week: The Rocketeer (Daddy has always liked that movie)
Book of the week: The Divergent series...Mommy hated the ending and had to rewrite it in her mind to accept it.



4 comments:

Tom Taylor Family said...

No worries Melissa-I had to rewrite the ending to the book as well!!

MortFamily said...

I hated the entire last book of the Divergent series. Post the recipe for the double chocolate zucchini muffins please.

T.M. said...

recipe now linked in the post.

Tom & Dixie said...

Will have to try the zucchini muffins.